The bilateral factor (extra 10% added to combined disability rating) applies when a veteran has disabilities on paired limbs and/or paired skeletal muscles.
- The disability ratings for paired legs, arms, and skeletal muscles get calculated in their order of severity, resulting in one combined disability rating.
- Ten percent (10%) is added to the combined disability rating, then rounded to the nearest integer (bilateral factor).
- The bilateral factor is then combined in order of severity with the individual factors.
STEP 1: Disability Rating
- Enter disabilities that qualify for the bilateral factor (even 0%) into the Bilateral Factors section. Condition names are optional.
- Enter remaining disabilities into the Individual Factors section (even 0%). The calculator will automatically enter the value of the bilateral factor. Condition names are optional.
- Receive Estimated Disability Rating value.
Note: For each section, the web app sorts the disabilities in order of severity prior to calculating the Estimated Disability Rating, so the order of input does not matter.
STEP 2: Disability Compensation
- The calculator will automatically enter the Disability Rating value.
- Answer dependent questions.
- Receive Estimated Compensation value.
STEP 3: Print Results
- To print only the results of the Rating section, click the “Print” button located on the bottom of the Individual Factors section, near the result.
- If there are Bilateral Factors and Individual Factors, then make sure both sections are open prior to printing.
- If there are no Bilateral Factors, then click on the Bilateral Factors tab to close that section prior to printing.
- If there are no Individual Factors, then click on the Individual Factors tab to close that section prior to printing.
- To print only the results of the Compensation section, click the “Print” button located on the bottom of the section, near the result.
- To print all results, make sure the tabs on both Rating sections are open, then click the “Print All” button located on the bottom of the Compensation section, near the result.
NOTE: When you leave this page or click refresh, all the values you entered will be cleared.
Rates for Veterans Compensation Benefits – Effective 12/1/17
VA Combined Ratings Table
Bilateral Factor (S4_26.doc)